NetSetMan won't response / Bug Reports / NetSetMan Support

NetSetMan Support

Search for already answered questions about NetSetMan (Pro) or ask new ones

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-07-05 17:10

Rcollewijn

NetSetMan won't response

Hello,

Left and right mouse key on tray icon won't response or show menu's. Also when i can open NetSetMan program i get almost empty screen and not able to change a profile.

Windows : 10.0.25151.1010
NetSetMan 5.1.1

I hope there is a solutions.

RB, Robert

#2 2022-07-05 18:09

NetSetMan Support
Administrator

Re: NetSetMan won't response

This sounds like the whole application is frozen for some reason.

Did the application ever work on your system?

Have you tried rebooting your system to make sure there is nothing wrong in the background?

#3 2022-07-05 18:41

Rcollewijn

When I look in the task manager, the application does not say no responding. it does indicate high CPU usage at 30%. I can't find anything in the eventid viewer.

I've been working with NetSetMan on the same computer for several years and this is the first time something goes wrong.

The things I've already tried. Restart the computer several times. uninstalling software and reinstalling the software after a reboot.

RB, Robert

#4 2022-07-05 22:37

NetSetMan Support
Administrator

Rcollewijn wrote:

I've been working with NetSetMan on the same computer for several years and this is the first time something goes wrong.

Something like this doesn't happen without any external changes. If it always worked but now suddenly doesn't anymore, then you should try to analyze in detail what has changed on your system.

We are currently unaware of any problems of this kind, so we have no idea what the reason might be.

Make also sure to remove the settings file when you reinstall the software, so you start with a fresh setup, just in case some specific configuration is causing this problem.

#5 2022-07-06 09:43

Rcollewijn

You are absolutely right. Several windows updates have been installed. I suspect that's also the problem, but unfortunately I can't uninstall it.

Because there is almost no information in the log files and Event Viewer, it is hardly possible to pinpoint this error.

I will test and try a few more things. If that doesn't work either, I'll do a clean install of Windows 11.

I'll keep you informed

#6 2022-07-06 10:38

Rcollewijn

Found the solution. what were the steps i did.

1. Uninstall/Install NetSetMan Pro (didn't work)
  - including deleting the configuration files.
  - cleaning registry
  - computer restart.
  - Installation NetSetMan
  NOTE; despite deleting the configuration file and cleaning up the registry and directories.
  The new installation still picks up the old configuration.

2. Install NetSetMan Free (works)
  - An installation of NetSetMan Free works immediately.
  NOTE; quick conclusion, is not located in the computer and/or the latest Windows Updates.

3. Installation NetSetMan Pro (After tweaking works)
  - Another Install of NetSetMan Pro.
  - Exit from NetSetMan Pro program.
  - Manually deleting the NetSetMan.xml file
  - Run NetSetMan and it works now.
  NOTE; Unfortunately I lost my configuration, but I'll find a solution.

Additional question, why does the program still pick up an old configuration somewhere even though I indicated during the uninstall that everything could be removed?

#7 2022-07-06 11:19

NetSetMan Support
Administrator

Based on your description, we don't really see the actual reason for the problem. You seem to have solved it by simply starting from scratch. If the problem was the configuration file, then we would have loved to get a copy of it, so we can check if we can reproduce the problem.

The configuration file is located in the application folder and is called netsetman.xml. By deleting this file while the application is not running, all settings will be gone. During uninstallation, you are asked whether you want to delete this file or not. After confirming it, the file will be gone. You can try it out again and check that the whole program folder is gone.

We can only see a couple of options where all settings would still be there after a new installation:
1. You did not choose to delete it during uninstallation.
2. You have multiple installation folders.
3. You are using one or more portable versions.
4. You have placed the netsetman.xml file in the same folder with your setup file, so it is copied into the destination folder during installation.

#8 2023-05-29 22:40

jrobertson

I am having this same issue right now. I have used netsetman pro for years with no issues. This started happening a couple weeks ago maybe, not sure exactly when since I don't use it everyday. I use a corporate managed laptop with windows 10 enterprise. It was recently reimaged as my company changed IT providers but I'm not sure if the issue line up with that or came after, but might be a cause.

If I hover over the tray icon, nothing happens, where it used to show me the current configs or let me change from there. Now I can only double click on the icon and the window will open, but will be mostly blank. If I click in sub windows, the configs might show up, but I can not activate them or import export them or do much of anything.

I uninstalled including deleting config files and rebooted and re installed. With a clean install it seemed to be OK, but if I imported a config file, the issues reappear even if I use a config file from a year ago, long before the issues started.

This last time I reinstalled, even before I loaded a file, the program had issues if I clicked on the tray icon.

Hopefully this gets seen here or maybe I can start a new forum post.

Let me know if I can send my config files or maybe a log or something.

#9 2023-06-02 07:50

NetSetMan Support
Administrator

We do see updated topics like this and we have discussed this issue internally again. Unfortunately, we do not know how to approach this problem. If this was a general problem, we would quickly receive lots of complaints. Therefore it must be limited to a very specific constellation. Without any error message or the possibility to reproduce the issue, we aren't able to debug it to find the cause, leaving us without any starting point.

We assume, this issue might be somehow related to DirectX or the graphics card in general, because both the TrayInfo and parts of the main UI are drawn using DirectX functionality. We would therefore recommend trying different approaches in that area. Start by updating/replacing your current graphics card driver. Windows might have installed a compatible driver that is not ideal. Go to the website of its manufacturer and download the latest driver specifically made for that hardware. Install it instead of the current driver.
If that doesn't improve it, try reinstalling DirectX. You can search for "directx repair" on the web for more information about this. Just make sure to use an official download from microsoft.com to download the latest DirectX setup file.

Please share your results with us.

#10 2023-06-02 19:37

jrobertson

I made sure directx and all my drivers are up to date. It does seem to have something to do with the tray somehow. When I had it always visible in the tray, it was basically unusable. when I set it as a hidden icon it seemed to be a little better, but still barely working. After several uninstalls and reinstalls, I finally have it mostly working. This last time, I installed netsetman free version and that worked, but then I ran the pro installer to 'upgrade' to pro and now it seems stable. If I double click from the tray, it still brings up the mostly blank window and won't update configs. But if I close that, and reopen with a right click or from the start menu, it opens normally and seems to work properly. I did like to use the tool tip popup that shows my current config, and miss that functionality, but the switching is the most important part since I change many times a week, or many times a day even for work.

I realize this is probably no help for debug, but if anyone else has the issue, maybe try installing the free version first the pro on top. I'm guessing that even though I deleted config files on uninstall, maybe an install of the free version wiped some remanants of the corrupted config somehow missed with uninstall?