Autoswitch via Gateway MAC not possible / Bug Reports / NetSetMan Support

NetSetMan Support

Search for already answered questions about NetSetMan (Pro) or ask new ones

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-04-28 07:26

Loeffel

Autoswitch via Gateway MAC not possible

Hi,

the autoswitch via the MAC-Address of the gateway isn't working. It seems the NetSetMan isn't able to identify the MAC-Address of the gateway. When I enter the settings, I must enter the MAC manually as the read out button for the actual gateway just brings up 00:00:00:00:00:00
If I read out the arp cache (via arp -a) the MAC-Address is correctly shown, so she is available for the system but not for NetSetMan.
Is there any Log I can give to you?

System: Win 7 Ultimate x64 (Fully patched)
NetSetMan: 4.0.2
Connection Type: LAN-cable
NSM Service: activated

Settings.jpg

P.S.: Support via Teamviewer is possible

#2 2015-04-28 11:00

NetSetMan Support
Administrator

Re: Autoswitch via Gateway MAC not possible

I've just sent you an email with a debugging tool to further analyse this issue.

#3 2015-04-28 11:10

Loeffel

Answer has been send.

#4 2015-04-28 11:31

Loeffel

I just checked the Output of the tool you send me.
Just to understand it correctly. You use the MAC-Address of the DHCP Server for the autoselect of the profile?
That isn't a proper way and will fail often. Why?
If the DHCP-Server is in another subnet as the client you aren't able to discover the MAC-Address of the DHCP-Server as such informations are only available in the local subnet. To identify the network the only possible and logical way is to use the MAC-Address of the default gateway. As you can never be sure that the DHCP-Server is in the same subnet as the client.

#5 2015-04-28 12:33

NetSetMan Support
Administrator

The DHCP request is essential because it provides the required information for finding out which gateway to use in that current network. This has nothing to do with different subnets.

The problem in your case is that both "giaddr" and "siaddr" are returned as "0.0.0.0" instead of providing information about the default gateway. I assume this means that in your case your DHCP server wants to take care of all that itself. In that case it probably requires a fallback to getting the MAC address from the DHCP server itself.

I'll do some testing and implement that fallback. As soon as I have a working result I'll contact you for a test in your environment.

#6 2023-04-21 13:11

saomone

Was this problem solved? In experiencing the same issu3 on last versione.

Thanks

#7 2023-04-23 12:20

NetSetMan Support
Administrator

saomone wrote:

Was this problem solved? In experiencing the same issu3 on last versione.

Thanks

You are referring to a problem that was discussed eight years ago in a different major version with a different AutoSwitch implementation. Even if you are experiencing a similar issue, it is unlikely the same problem.

Please open a new thread and describe your problem as detailed as possible. Include screenshots, describe your observations and all your steps of trying to identify and solve the issue. Only with those details we are able to understand the issue and whether its source is a bug, a system/network problem or a usability issue.