NSM looses settings / Bug Reports / NetSetMan Support

NetSetMan Support

Search for already answered questions about NetSetMan (Pro) or ask new ones

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-15 19:46

StephanP

NSM looses settings

Hi,
Every now and again, NSM looses the settings for the primary profile.
- WIFI: deselected and empty
- Printer: deselected and empty
- Adapter status: deselected and empty
- PC Name: deselected and empty
- Werkgroup: deselected and empty
Without these details, NSM is having a hard time connecting to the network.
Remarkably, the settings for Set2 (not in use) are still there.

I just can't figure out what is causing this.
- Registry cleaners?
- Disk cleaners?

Somehow, the notebook's sleep mode seems to play a role in this. It's (not always) after waking up from sleep mode that the NSM settings are gone.

Details
- MSI U200 netbook
- Windows 7 HP 32-bit
- nsmService active
- Login account with limited rights

Any idea's?
Stephan

Last edited by StephanP (2011-01-15 20:19)

#2 2011-01-18 01:16

NetSetMan Support
Administrator

Re: NSM looses settings

Is there any chance you can reproduce that problem giving a step-by-step instruction? I understand that you might need to put your system to sleep mode several times which might take some of your time, but if it's a problem within NSM I need to be able to reproduce the problem to be able to fix it. If it's a random problem I don't know how to approach it.

#3 2011-01-18 08:22

StephanP

Hello Ilja,
I know you need a more clear story (recipe) in order to look into the problem. I am trying very hard to be able to reproduce the problem myself. The annoying thing is, that it's VERY erratic. It happens every 1-2 weeks, but I'm never able to pin down the circumstances.
I'll keep looking....
(for the moment, this thread serves as a signal, a reminder)
(BTW, no responses like "I've got this too", so possibly it'just me)
Stephan

#4 2011-01-29 10:16

StephanP

Update:
The situation hasn't occured since my posting.
I don't know what happened before, or what changed since.
Stephan

#5 2011-01-30 12:38

StephanP

The devil seems to be playing tricks with me.
After a long period he has struck again, this morning.

- WIFI: unchecked and SSID is empty
- Printer: unchecked and printername is empty
- Adapter status: unchecked and empty
- PC name: unchecked and empty
- Working group: unchecked and empty

The only thing that i can add to the story, is that the notebook - though stationary on the table - seemed to loose wifi connection. Possibly the mrs' notebook on the opposite side of the table was interfering with the wifi connection.

I did check NSM earlier in the morning and all information was present at that time.

Are there any log files that I can check?
Stephan

#6 2011-01-30 15:58

NetSetMan Support
Administrator

Actually if a problem like this exists I get a lot of reports. At the moment you're the only one reporting this kind of problem so it makes me wonder what the reason for the problem might be. It might be some very uncommon combination of circumstances leading to this result. However, I'm always interested in eliminating even very rare problems.

I still don't have an idea where that problem might come from, but let me ask you some questions that might help to understand where this is heading to. You might have already noted some of them but I'd like to clarify then summed up all together.

1. Are you using NSM Administration with settings file encryption?
2. Is always only one profile cleared? Is it always the one that is currently visible as a tab?
3. Are ALL settings from that profile gone? Including its name and the selected network adapter?
4. Are you a Pro or NC-Free user?
5. Are you in Full or in Compact Mode when this happens?

To give some background information: For the upcomming version 3.2.0 I optimized a lot concerning the handling of profile settings. I've completely rewritten the access to the settings file and also did some tweaks for the UI when saving and loading the settings into the interface. This all leads to huge performance improvements, but it also might solve your problem without even knowing the real cause.

Practically speaking it should be the best to wait for that version to be released to see if that problem ever comes up again. Because if not then it's useless to do in-depth analyses at the moment.
Actually if you're interested I might be able to give you a Beta version next week for testing, but since that problem isn't reproducable it might not help. But maybe it's worth a try. So what do you think? Regardless of that, please give some details concerning my questions. Thanks.

#7 2011-01-30 16:43

StephanP

Thanks for the quick response.

1. Are you using NSM Administration with settings file encryption?
- No settings file encryption

2. Is always only one profile cleared? Is it always the one that is currently visible as a tab?
- Just the one active profile is cleared. This is the first profile and as such the visible tab.

3. Are ALL settings from that profile gone? Including its name and the selected network adapter?
- The name of the profile is maintained, as well as the selected adapter.

4. Are you a Pro or NC-Free user?
- NC-free

5. Are you in Full or in Compact Mode when this happens?
- Full mode

I agree with you that it's best to await the new version and see what this brings.

Cheers,
Stephan

#8 2013-09-02 16:39

Critcho

I'm having the same issue randomly. My specs:
- NetSetMan Pro (paid) V3.5.3 Rel 2013-05-20
- Win7-64
- My login is adminstrator
- NSM Service is disabled
- NSM Administration is disabled (but the ghosted Encrypt option is still ticked)

I have 6 Groups, every profile in each group is used apart from the last 3 profiles.

The profile I notice this on most is only trying to set one LAN address (10.10.10.5 / 255.255.255.0 / _._._._) and not affecting any other settings. I just noticed that I have made 2 profiles that achieve the same thing, not sure if that will be relevant.

When the settings are lost, the IP settings are all blank and the IP Checkbox is unchecked. I'm pretty sure the network adapter was still selected.

I normally activate NSM profiles from the tray with a right-click, when I open NSM it's in full mode.

I can't comment as to if my laptop goes into sleep or hibernate modes between when it works and when it doesn't, because both happen randomly and rarely (the issue and hibernating). I just forced hibernation and the settings were not erased.

Cheers,
Scott

#9 2013-09-19 13:06

NetSetMan Support
Administrator

Sorry, I must have missed to reply here.

Currently there's a known problem with the encryption of the settings file that might erase all the settings in very rare cases. I'm working on it to solve this for the next release.
However, looking at your description it doesn't seem to be the same issue.

1. How often do you experience this behavior? Do you recognize a usage pattern for the situations where this problem occurs?
2. Can you please verify that the selected network adapter really remains in place? That's a detail in your description that puzzles me. Right now I can only think of a scenario where all settings (incl. all other profiles) get erased, but not only IP, subnet mask and the checkbox belonging to the IP group.
3. Is the name of the profile lost as well?

So, what can you do right now?
- If the settings are lost again: Please copy and send me the settings.ini file from the program folder directly after noticing it without performing any further action in the application.
- To restore your settings you can keep a backup file somewhere that you can import using Options > Import Profiles & Settings