Windows 7 : Netsetman Very Slow and Not Configuring Correctly / Bug Reports / NetSetMan Support

NetSetMan Support

Search for already answered questions about NetSetMan (Pro) or ask new ones

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-04-27 08:56

AlterEgo

Windows 7 : Netsetman Very Slow and Not Configuring Correctly

I have Windows 7 with all major updates installed.

I tried installing NetSetMan Pro NetSetMan.v3.0.2. I gave two configuration sets (for Home and Office) for my both Network Interfaces (Wired and Wireless Interface). I tried setting automatic addresses for my wired interface and manual IP/DNS settings for my Wireless interface (Broadcom).

I have seen that whenever I select and activate the wireless profile, the following discrepancies happen:

1. All the settings are not properly applied to the connection interface. The IP is set correctly but the DNS server settings (although mentioned in the profile) are not applied correctly.

2. The wireless network name (although specified in the profile) is not connected automatically. Although the wireless SSID network name is present and active.

3. The tray icon for Netset man takes a very long time to display the tray info and even present the menu to select the profile. Sometimes the windows gives the application hang dialog box to close the application. I have already checked the FAQa and all the services are already up and running.

And yes I have the Administrator access to my PC, since I am the owner myself. I dont join any company domain to have a limited access or to have any UAC dilemmas.

Can anyone help me troubleshoot the problem. Or maybe post a fix to the program.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by AlterEgo (2010-04-27 08:58)

#2 2010-04-30 16:09

NetSetMan Support
Administrator

Re: Windows 7 : Netsetman Very Slow and Not Configuring Correctly

1. Do you get any error code? Please have a look at the log in the activation window. If might contain more specific information.

2. Did you try to connect directly from the WiFi Management in NSM? Are you able to connect from there?

3. Please deactivate the Public IP feature. It is described in the help file to deactivate it if the Tray Info takes to long to open. This happens if it not clear if you have an Internet connection of not at the moment. Windows has a built in timeout of about 30sec for that.

#3 2010-05-06 10:15

Mr.T

Hallo,
same problem with me. DNS and WINS are not correct configured. DNS did no changes between auto (DHCP) and fixed dns-address and did not use the given DNS-address and WINS-address

her the report:
[0:00] Start: Home LAN (11:03:40)

[0:00] Start: LAN-Verbindung
[0:00] Adapter gefunden
[0:00] IP & Gateway: Start
[0:00] IP: OK
[0:00] Gateway: OK
[0:00] DNS: Start
[0:00] DNS: Fehler 84
Netzwerkkabel nicht verbunden oder keine Verbindung möglich.
[0:00] WINS: Start
[0:00] WINS: Fehler 84
Netzwerkkabel nicht verbunden oder keine Verbindung möglich.

[0:00] Ende (11:03:41)

thanks for help

Last edited by Mr.T (2010-05-06 14:25)

#4 2010-05-07 07:51

AlterEgo

Well Ilja Herlein,

I have tried disabling the WAN Ip Address in the tray info as well, and still no luck.

Now we have another case with similar problems on Windows 7, so we would really appreciate if you can have a detailed review and test and release a patch or an update to the program.

Thanks.

#5 2010-05-07 16:13

NetSetMan Support
Administrator

@Mr.T
According to your log you're not connected to any network at the time when applying the settings. Windows requires to have a connection to a network to set DNS and WINS correctly.

@AlterEgo
Again: Please post your log to see what problem is occuring for your DNS settings.

The only possible reason for a huge delay of the Tray Info to appear is the Public IP feature.
Please double-check if it is deactivated:
Options > Preferences > Tray > Tray Info
[x] Show current settings in tray (<- checked)
[  ] Show public IP (<- unchecked!)
[  ] Show MAC address (<- unchecked)

#6 2010-05-10 09:42

AlterEgo

Ilja Herlein wrote:

@Mr.T
According to your log you're not connected to any network at the time when applying the settings. Windows requires to have a connection to a network to set DNS and WINS correctly.

@AlterEgo
Again: Please post your log to see what problem is occuring for your DNS settings.

The only possible reason for a huge delay of the Tray Info to appear is the Public IP feature.
Please double-check if it is deactivated:
Options > Preferences > Tray > Tray Info
[x] Show current settings in tray (<- checked)
[  ] Show public IP (<- unchecked!)
[  ] Show MAC address (<- unchecked)

Thanks,

I am unable to understand where is log file saved. Is it a file on the PC, or you are referring to log window which appears when we select a profile for activation.

I am attaching a link to the screen shot I have when activating a profile. Please know that no network interface is connected at the moment.

It depicts the usual/practical situation when I step into the office, I dont want my wireless network to be automatically connected. First I need to select the correct (Office or Home) profile which has all the settings.

netsetmanerror84.jpg

This shows a status of "Ok (84)" in front of DNS. In such way the DNS settings in the network adapter properties is not updated (only the IP address settings is applied).

Browsing around the forum I came to know that DNS will only be updated if I am already connected to a network, which makes it sound a bit silly and confusing, although it works. I tried connecting to the wireless network and then applied the profile again and now it shows a status "Ok" for DNS, and surprisingly the DNS setting is also applied. I am using a wireless network for office and home (with obviously different settings and SSIDs).

So can you please enlighten us why is it made to work this way. All the settings including the network (wired or wireless) SSID and etc is already mentioned in the profiles I have made. So in my opinion it should :

1. Try to find the mentioned WLAN SSID
2. If available try to connect itself with the present WLAN.
3. And then apply all the settings including IP, DNS, WINS, Proxy etc.

The sequence of the steps can be different as you are the technical mind behind the program.

The crux is it should be easy and seamless for the end user. If I need to remember that first I have to manually connect to the wireless network and then apply the profile settings , then believe me it is as good as remembering and changing all the settings manually.

According to my original questions , here is the status,

1. All the settings are not properly applied to the connection interface. The IP is set correctly but the DNS server settings (although mentioned in the profile) are not applied correctly.

- Not working the way it was assumed to be.

2. The wireless network name (although specified in the profile) is not connected automatically. Although the wireless SSID network name is present and active.

- Not working the way it was assumed to be.

3. The tray icon for Netset man takes a very long time to display the tray info and even present the menu to select the profile. Sometimes the windows gives the application hang dialog box to close the application. I have already checked the FAQa and all the services are already up and running.

-Checked and corrected. Applied your instructions for disabling the MAC and WAN address in tray info tooltip and now it is working correctly.

Thanks for reading and replying.
Cheers.

#7 2010-05-17 13:05

NetSetMan Support
Administrator

I'll change the activation order for the next release. WiFi will be before the IP settings.
If you'd like to have a workaround immediately:
Create a second MultiProfile for your WiFi NIC and set your WiFi settings there. Use the other profile to set all the other settings afterwards. This way you can adjust the order manually while still having to activate only one profile.

#8 2010-05-18 09:56

AlterEgo

Ilja Herlein wrote:

I'll change the activation order for the next release. WiFi will be before the IP settings.
If you'd like to have a workaround immediately:
Create a second MultiProfile for your WiFi NIC and set your WiFi settings there. Use the other profile to set all the other settings afterwards. This way you can adjust the order manually while still having to activate only one profile.

Thanks for listening.

Yeah i guess the workaround your mentioned can be applied. I will try it and will post the results.

Cheers.

#9 2010-07-24 23:25

ace2187

I received a similar problem when switching between a static ip(Home) and automatic(School). I used this work around to fix it but it still seems to be there. I'm using the newest version 3.0.3 on a windows 7 ultimate 64 bit.

#10 2010-07-25 12:16

NetSetMan Support
Administrator

The activation order was changed in v3.0.3 as mentioned. So this can't be the problem for you.
If you have general problems with the activation, please have a look at the FAQ www.netsetman.com/faq
You'll find several possible solutions there.