IE Proxy not set / Bug Reports / NetSetMan Support

NetSetMan Support

Search for already answered questions about NetSetMan (Pro) or ask new ones

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-03-04 03:46

kevincheng

IE Proxy not set

I am using W7 Ultimate (32bit) and am using a registered copy of NetSetMan (3.01) and the NSM Service (1.1.0). I have UAC turned on and am running as a user with admin privileges.

When I activate a profile that has a IE proxy setting, the proxy setting is not applied. For example, when I turn on the proxy manually in IE8 and then activate a proxy with the proxy disabled, the proxy still remains enabled when I check in IE8.

Any help?

Thanks
Kevin

#2 2010-03-06 18:24

NetSetMan Support
Administrator

Re: IE Proxy not set

Could you please post your log file? (click + in the activation dialog)

#3 2010-03-08 16:13

kevincheng

My activation dialog is as follows:
[0:00] Start: Home (23:09:15)

[0:00] Start: Wireless Network Connection
[0:00] Adapter found
[0:00] Browser/Proxy: Start
[0:00] IE: OK

[0:00] Finish (23:09:15)

#4 2010-03-18 02:31

kevincheng

I have now uninstalled the NSM service and tried running NetSetMan several times. Setting the proxy STILL DOES NOT WORK!!!

This is one of the main purposes for which I purchased NetSetMan and so it has been pretty useless for me since I purchased it.

Please help.

Kevin

#5 2010-03-19 22:24

NetSetMan Support
Administrator

I'm afraid, I have no idea why this feature fails for you.
Since version 2.6.4 that came out in December last year bringing a new improved proxy feature this is the first report that the feature doesn't work. As much as I always would like to help I'm clueless at this point. I assume there might be some other program or setting blocking the proxy to be changed by a third-party program.
I'll keep an eye on that problem and as soon as I have a solution with this I'll post here again.

#6 2010-03-26 11:03

dantecampaza

I have the same problem as kevincheng.
I purchased the pro version and updated it to the last version, but the problem still persists.
I noted that Netsetman correctly sets or resets the proxy option in the LAN settings of the Internet Options, but when unchecks the option 'Use this proxy' Netsetman does'nt clear the field containing the address of the proxy.
Then probably there is a bug in Windows that uses the proxy when he finds a proxy address, even with the option unchecked.
Netsetman may resolve the problem by clearing the proxy address, and also the port for completeness. Now I should clear this fields manually and then the connection goes fine, but an automatism will be very appreciated.

#7 2010-03-26 11:55

NetSetMan Support
Administrator

dantecampaza wrote:

... but when unchecks the option 'Use this proxy' Netsetman does'nt clear the field containing the address of the proxy.

I think that problem is different from the one of the initial poster.

To make sure I got you correctly. After setting the proxy option to "Direct connection / No proxy" and activating this profile you end up with this settings:
2010-03-26_proxy.png

Right?

And your problem is now, that Windows is still trying to use 1.2.3.4:80 as the proxy although it is unchecked? That would be definitely a wrong behaviour of Windows. I can't reproduce this. Please tell me which exact Windows version you are using.
Of course I can have a look how to remove the address completely instead of just deactivating it. But then again it's for fixing a Windows problem and not one of NetSetMan itself.

#8 2010-03-31 14:43

dantecampaza

I use Windows XP Professional SP3 on a Acer notebook with a Core2 duo processor and 4GB of ram.
I have an 'Office' configuration with the proxy address setted and the option 'Use this proxy' flagged, and this configuration works fine.
Then I have a 'Home' configuration, where is flagged the option 'Automatically detect settings'.

Changing from home option to office option all works fine, the proxy address is restored and also the option.
Reverting to home configuration  the option are correctly flagged (detect automatically and don't use this proxy) but the proxy address is not cleared. I should flag the 'use proxy' option to activate the address field, clear it and then restore the flag to the 'Automatically detect' option, after this all works fine.
Evidently in Windows the presence of a proxy address overheads the option setting, and not only for the browser, but also for the automatic update and for my Avast antivirus. It seems to be a socket_serving_dll bug.

Last edited by dantecampaza (2010-03-31 14:48)

#9 2010-03-31 16:47

NetSetMan Support
Administrator

I'll try to find a workaround for the next version.

#10 2010-04-27 20:34

it-support

Ilja Herlein wrote:

I'll try to find a workaround for the next version.

I habe the same behavior with Version 3.0.2 under Windows7 x64 with IE8 (running standard x32 Mode).

The proxy settings are not assume.

I have running also NSM Service.

Here are the log:

[0:04] Arbeitsgruppe: OK
[0:04] DNS Domäne: Start
[0:04] DNS Domäne: OK
[0:04] Drucker: Start
[0:04] Drucker: OK
[0:04] Browser/Proxy: Start
[0:04] IE: OK
[0:04] FF: OK

Whats up with this behavior ?

#11 2010-05-17 12:55

NetSetMan Support
Administrator

I found a solution for this issue. It worked fine in all tests so far, so I hope it will solve your problems, too.
It will be included in the next version. Please be patient until it is released and then tell me if it does it for you.