Opera proxy support / Feature Requests / NetSetMan Support

NetSetMan Support

Search for already answered questions about NetSetMan (Pro) or ask new ones

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-09 15:14

doperst

Opera proxy support

Dear Ilja!

I am using a Pro version since 2.4x and i admit NetSetman Pro is one of rare cases that i know what i have paid for, simply a Must-Have!

Unfortunately, i have been looking for some features it is missing:

1) Opera proxy settings support
2) Thunderbird proxy settings support
3) Automatic profile selection based on current network connection

I am aware of proxy auto configuration (PAC) files existence, and i have tried to make Opera use one for automatic proxy selection, but failed at it. I would appreciate any help with it, if possible.

Dmitry

#2 2009-09-09 15:39

NetSetMan Support
Administrator

Re: Opera proxy support

1) Proxy: Opera's default behavior is to use the proxy server configured in Internet Explorer / Windows.

However, if you manually specify a proxy in Opera, that one is used instead. Unfortunately once manual settings have been configured in Opera it's not possible to restore the original behavior changing the configuration in Opera itself. But it is possible to change it editing the settings file in a text editor.

Open: C:\Documents and Settings\<USERNAME>\Application Data\Opera\Opera\profile\opera6.ini and remove the [Proxy] section. (Opera must be closed).

After that is done you can change the proxy settings of IE/Windows using NSM Pro and Opera will use them aswell.

2) I'm not sure about Thunderbird proxy settings, though. It might be the same as with Opera. Maybe you can try it out. It's the first time Thunderbird proxy settings are being requested.

3) In development right now

#3 2009-09-09 15:53

doperst

Thank you very much for a quick reply!

I have already seen your Opera solution on this forum, just a few minutes after i have posted my question smile

In general, it would be great to have a  "search and replace" script in NSM, like this

[Setting proxy for ICQblablabla]
filename: c:\Program Files\ICQblablabla\Settings\icq.ini
find: "proxy: #.#.#.#"
replace with: "proxy: DIRECT"

[SomeOtherApplication]
registry: HKLM\SOFTWARE\SomeotherSoft\Settings\Proxy
delete: "direct"
insert: "192.168.1.1:3128"

There are a lot of applications and games around with internet access, and some of them use own ini or registry settings for proxy. That user-defined script could just do the job smile

#4 2009-09-09 16:30

NetSetMan Support
Administrator

I will think about whether there's a clean and simple way to implement a search&replace feature. However, it is not a high priority atm, because some other features are being developed.

But actually for such "special" use cases there's the script feature. You can do nearly everything with it. Modifying text files is one of the easier tasks.

Have a look at this VBS description directly from Microsoft:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/script … y0208.mspx

#5 2009-09-09 21:07

doperst

Thanks again!
I've been about to buy some book about VBS already, for other reasons. Now it's time for some shopping for sure smile
Good luck!

#6 2009-09-09 21:27

NetSetMan Support
Administrator

Have fun learning VBS! smile

In case you write a script that you think might be useful for other NSM users as well, you are very welcome to post it here.